Garage Door Openers
Looking for the best garage door openers from brands like LiftMaster and Genie? Elite Garage Doors and Gates has you covered! We also repair garage door openers, so whether you want to buy a new opener or just need your existing one fixed, give us a call for all your garage door opener needs.
Please keep in mind that proper garage door opener installation is crucial for performance as well as safety. The difference between a properly installed garage door opener and one riddled with shortcuts can cost you a lot more in the long run. Don’t take any chances on fly-by-night garage door companies or inexperienced handymen. Trust the pros at Elite Garage Doors and Gates and enjoy your new garage door opener for a long, long time. Call today!
We install and repair garage door openers in Germantown, Frederick, Gaithersburg, Silver Spring, Rockville, Bethesda, Waldorf, Washington DC, and more. Get in touch today and tell us how we can help. Live operators are standing by to assist you.
Below you will find information on the various styles and convenient features available on some of the strongest, quietest, and most versatile garage door openers on the market. Please call us if you have any additional questions on these or other models, or if you would like a quote on a professionally-installed replacement garage door opener.
Types of Garage Door Openers
There are three main types of openers: chain driven, belt driven, and screw driven.
- Chain driven garage door openers run the garage door on its track by using a metal chain. Chain drives are slightly cheaper than belt drives, which is one of the reasons they are the most popular kind of garage door openers on the market. Chain drive openers tend to be noisy, so if your garage is located below or adjacent to the main rooms in your home, you don't want this opener. We typically don't recommend chain driven openers because the small saving may not be worth the extra noise and maintenance requirements. Additionally, some garage door opener manufacturers may not offer the same warranty on chain driven openers compared to belt driven models.
- Belt driven garage door openers are considered as the best type of opener by professionals in the garage door industry. Not only are belt drives as reliable as chain drives, but they are also virtually silent. This drive runs on a steel-reinforced belt and typically costs a few dollars more than chain and screw drive garage door openers. If your garage is attached to your home and has surrounding bedrooms, belt driven openers will ensure that you and your family are never bothered by the noise of your garage door opening or closing. Not just peace of mind, but peace and quiet can be had with belt driven openers.
- Screw driven garage door openers use a lifting device that runs on a threaded steel rod, rather than a chain or a rubber belt. These openers tend to work best in locations where the weather and temperature is constant throughout the year. For this reason, screw driven openers are not recommended in areas with a wide temperature range throughout the year. Although screw driven garage door openers are the least expensive option, they are also the slowest moving and noisiest of garage door openers.
Some of the Best Garage Door Openers on the Market
8550 Elite Series DC Motor Belt Drive w/ Evercharge Standby Power System
A reliable opener designed to perform and built to last for years of smooth, trouble free operation. It is extremely quiet and extremely reliable (it even works when the power goes out). The 8550 is the ultimate in garage door opener technology and convenience, and one of the most popular garage door openers we install in homes throughout Maryland.
- Battery Backup system ensures operation, even when the power is out
- Timer to close feature lets you choose to have the door automatically close after a pre-programmed number of minutes
- Energy-efficient operation consumes up to 75% less power in standby mode
- Belt drive system is durable, ultra-quiet and maintenance-free
- Whole garage lighting with dual side 200-watt CFL bulb-compatible design
- Uses multiple frequencies simultaneously for near-zero interference
- Wall Station: Provides door operation from the inside of your garage. Also includes an illuminated push-button and security vacation/lock switch so that your always protected.
- Wireless Keyless Entry System (WKES): Allows you to program your own 4-digit pin. It controls up to 3 different garage doors. Also provides temporary service for visitors
- Offers a safety reversal system included with a warning (system lights flash) when contact is sensed or made with any object
- Includes a limited lifetime warranty on the motor and belt and a five-year on all other parts (one-year on the battery)
- EverCharge® Standby Power System Features:
- 12VDC battery is always charged and ready - no additional outlets are needed
- Alerts you when in use - an audible signal tells you when the standby power system is operating
- Safety and security features still operate - ensures your family is still protected in a power failure
- Backup power will operate the garage door opener for 40 full cycles within a 24-hour period* (fully charged batteries at 72° F)
8355 HP AC Belt Drive Garage Door Opener
The 8355 is smart, quiet, and energy efficient. This model comes with advanced technology that transforms your smartphone into a garage door remote. You can also receive email or text alerts so you always know the status of your garage door. That’s peace of mind, the LiftMaster way. Additionally, the DC motor chain drive system provides steady performance and industrial-strength lifting power, great for large wooden or steel garage doors.
- MyQ® Technology connects with your smartphone to monitor and control your garage door and turn on or off your home lighting when paired with the LiftMaster Internet Gateway. No annual activation fee required. Download the mobile app for free!
- Comes with 3-button remote control and motion-detecting control panel.
- Optional Battery Backup powers up even when the power is down so you can get in your garage (optional battery 485LM is required).
- A 200-watt light with adjustable light time delay.
- Motion detector activates the garage door opener lights as soon as you walk in the garage.
- Includes a lifetime warranty on the motor and one-year on all other parts.
8165 ½HP Chain Drive Motor
The LiftMaster 8165 is a durable, industrial-strength chain driven garage door opener that provides smooth, steady performance year after year. This model is also compatible with MyQ® Technology, allowing you to monitor and control your garage door opener from anywhere (requires 828LM MyQ® Internet Gateway and MyQ® smartphone app).
Includes 1-button remote control and multi-function control panel
- 1-button remote control and multi-function control panel
- 4-year motor and 1-year parts warranties.
Genie Model 2028 Opener
The Genie Opener Model 2028 provides power, value, and reliability for homeowners who desire a power, durable, long-lasting garage door opener. Available in belt or chain drive, the 2028 also included battery backup for added convenience and peace of mind.
- Powerful DC motor performance with Soft Start & Stop Control
- C-Channel rail for strength & aesthetics
- Compatible with Aladdin Connect® smart device system.
- Optional Wireless Keypad.
- 10 Year Motor Limited Warranty.
8500W Jackshaft Opener
The 8500W Elite Series Jackshaft Opener offers an ultra-quiet, space-saving, wall-mounted design. Specially designed for garages and unique applications that don't allow for a traditional garage door opener, such as garages with very low, cathedral or obstructed ceilings, the 8500W provides the convenience of a traditional garage door opener for non-traditional garage doors.
- Ultra-quiet 24V DC motor performance
- Integrated Battery Backup
- Mounts on the left or right side of door, saving tons of ceiling space.
- Easily program additional remotes, keypads and/or keyless entry.
- Auto-force technology monitors garage door system and adjusts forces to temperature fluctuations, floor height and door track movement.
- Included automatic garage door lock and timer-to-close feature.
- Built-in-Wi-Fi, for the easiest way to connect the garage.
- MyQ Technology.