Garage Door System Safety
A garage door is the largest moving object in your home. Proper installation, operation, and maintenance are necessary to provide safe, trouble-free operation. The serious truth of the matter is that improperly adjusted, improperly maintained, and improperly used garage doors and automatic garage door openers can cause serious injury or death.
As Maryland’s trusted garage door installation, maintenance, and repair company, we take garage door safety very seriously. We hope the following information helps you maintain a safe garage door for years to come. If you have any questions or are worried that your garage door or garage door opener are unsafe, contact Elite today.
Garage Door Safety Statistics
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, garage door related accidents cause 30,000 injuries each year. Although progress has been made in promoting garage door safety, studies show that the rate of injuries is still shockingly high. A recent analysis of garage door related injuries found that the injury rate in 2017 actually increased after modest declines in previous years. These statistics are not meant to alarm you, but rather highlight the importance of taking garage door safety seriously.
Garage Door Safety Tips
Garage doors can be dangerous, but a few simple precautions is all it takes to protect your friends, family, and guests from suffering mild to serious injuries. Please take a few minutes to read the following garage door safety tips. These tips are not hard to follow and do not require a significant amount of time or money, but they may help save life and limb. Please call us if you have any questions.
- Refer to your garage door opener’s manual for details specific to the model you own. Everyone in your home should be familiar with the garage door opener’s safety features and know how to safely use the opener, remote, and accessories.
- Do not stand or walk under a moving door, even if your garage door opener is equipped with a fail-safe sensor. Never take a chance with safety; always wait until the garage door is fully open before walking underneath and fully closed before opening again.
- Always place garage door remotes out of the reach of children who may be tempted to play games like “beat the door.” Incorrectly using garage door openers may also cause safety features to wear out more quickly, which could place more people at risk of injury.
- Replace your garage door opener if it was built before 1993 (this was the year federal garage door opener safety standards were adopted; garage door openers built before 1993 may not have adequate safety built-in safety features).
- Make monthly garage door inspection and testing a part of your regular routine. Refer to your owner’s manual for tips on how to inspect and test your specific garage door opener model. If you are not sure how to inspect your garage door opener, contact Elite Garage Doors and Gates of Maryland.
We Keep Maryland Garage Doors Safe
Garage door safety is everyone’s business, especially ours. We provide routine garage door maintenance services that can keep your garage door and opener in safe working condition. Our technicians can also spot and fix any potential problems before they get worse and cause anyone to be severely injured.
- 24/7 emergency garage door repair
- Evening and weekend service available
- All major credit cards accepted
- Licensed and insured garage door repair company
Elite Garage Doors and Gates is proud to serve the entirety of Maryland, including Washington DC, Germantown, Frederick, Gaithersburg, Silver Spring, Rockville, Bethesda, and Waldorf. Call us today to learn more about our garage door maintenance, inspection, and repair services.